Medical Technologist - Greensburg, PA
Allegheny Health Network (AHN) is currently seeking Medical Technologists for a NEW Neighborhood Hospital in Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Full-Time/PRN, All Shifts available
Medical Technologist Position Overview:
The purpose of this position is to provide technical assistance and supportive patient care to meet the needs of individual patients throughout assigned areas. Responsible for the collection and analysis of laboratory specimens and subsequent result reporting according to laboratory protocol and procedures. Acts as general supervisor over assigned lab activities. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Performs tasks, duties and/or complex tests in all areas of the laboratory assigned according to established laboratory protocols and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations, COLA accreditation requirements and hospital standards.
- Collects and processes specimens utilizing protocols and technical knowledge.
- Performs quality control, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting protocols to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents, procedures.
- Validates and delivers results of tests performed and assists with all technical troubleshooting and quality assurance issues.
- Follows established safety practices including biohazards, exposure control plan (blood-borne pathogens), infection control to include standard precautions, employee right to know (hazardous chemicals), and chemical hygiene standard and maintains required documentation for compliance with federal, state, and local, regulations.
- Assist with performing proficiency testing for each test to include corrective action when necessary.
- Develop and foster collaboration among clinical departments and affiliated services to ensure an integrated and coordinated approach to providing laboratory services and resolution of customer complaints or problems.
- Coordinate and perform all pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic laboratory activities in collaboration with the lab director and technical consultant.
- Assist with patient care and other activities as assigned by the Hospital Administrator/designee as indicated by the patient’s plan of care.
- Collect, report, and document clinical data. Take vital signs, height and weight, intake and output, pulse oximetry, and collect specimens.
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality of information and records at all times.
- Provide and maintain a clean, safe environment and perform and/or assist others to perform proper aseptic technique, isolation procedures, and infection control measures.
Medical Technologist Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological/Physical Sciences or Medical Laboratory Science, required
- Minimum of 1 year lab experience required (2 years preferred) in the non-waived specialties of a clinical laboratory
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent
- Current BLS certification through the American Heart Association, required
- Experience with IV start, phlebotomy, and initiation of EKG, preferred
- Certification as an EMT and/or ER experience, preferred
Interested Candidates Please Contact:
Senior Clinical Recruiter
Please reference Position ID 163054 when responding.