How Millennial Physicians Search for Positions
As digital natives, Millennial physicians are much more comfortable with technology than prior generations. So, it would seem that newly minted providers would mostly rely on online searches and social media platforms to find their ideal match. While it’s true that many Millennial physicians are finding jobs online, others are using traditional job search methods.
If you’re a new physician, here are several methods you can use to find your ideal position.
Millennial Physician Job Search Methods
- Post-fellowship position – Consider whether you’d prefer to stay at the facility where you’ve been a resident or fellow. Find out as early as possible whether you can continue there as an attending physician.
- Networking and referrals – Tell your friends, colleagues and fellow graduates you are starting a job search. Contact your current and past medical directors, department chairs and supervisors to ask for leads.
- Healthcare organization websites – Research the healthcare facilities in your areas of clinical interest and geographic location.
- Online job boards – Check out online medical job boards and visit job boards run by journals and professional organizations like the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) and Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).
- Print journals – Check print journals for job listings. According to NEJM, 50 percent of doctors look for jobs in classified recruitment sources in print.
- Career fairs – Visit in-person or online career fairs hosted by hospitals and health systems.
- Annual meetings, conferences and expos – Healthcare facilities and recruiters often set up booths at these events. These gatherings provide great networking opportunities.
- Email lists – Sign up to receive email notifications of positions available in your areas of interest. Also consider emailing facilities directly to ask about openings.
- Snail mail – Send out cover letters and CVs through the mail.
- Cold call – Call hospitals, private practices, nursing facilities and other organizations to ask whether they are hiring.
- Social media – Subscribe to healthcare organizations’ social media sites. Look on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and other platforms. Join social media groups focused on your specialty, location and area of interest.
- Online search – Search hospitals, practices, organizations, meetings and events for positions.
- College career center – Contact your alma mater’s career center for leads.
- Physician sites – Use physician-specific websites like Doximity, Sermo or Medscape’s Physician Connect.
- Recruiters – Turn to a recruiting expert, who can tailor a search for you, help you find the best match and make the process much easier!
Preparing for Your Physician Job Search
To prepare for your physician job search:
- Think creatively, use a combination of methods to find the perfect job
- Begin your physician job search at least 12 months in advance
- Generate a list of your wants, needs and goals
- Decide which type of facility you prefer
- Research cost of living, culture, schools, practices and facilities within your cities of interest
- Find out what the licensing process is for your states of interest
- Be sure the job is a good fit before accepting
- Hire an attorney to review documents before you sign
What Millennial Physicians Value Most
So, what do Millennial physicians value most about their jobs?
- Work-life balance. Decent hours, a reasonable call schedule and time for family, hobbies, travel and exercise.
- Environment. Ideal size of practice, collaborative colleagues, level of autonomy, type of facility and manageable stress.
- Location. Rich culture, restaurants, activities, religious institutions, schools and affordable cost of living.
- Compensation and benefits. Insurance, signing bonus, relocation expense, loan repayment, malpractice coverage, retirement funding and vacation time.
- Technology and innovation. Electronic records system, efficient charting process, balanced patient time versus administrative task time and state-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
To find the best match for you, connect with one of our expert Cejka Search recruiters today.