How Physicians and APPs Should Decide How to Structure Their Job Search
Physicians and advanced practice providers who are seeking employment have the option to utilize an agency or conduct a job search independently. Each provider’s situation will differ, so it is worth researching options to make an informed decision. Here, we explore the challenges and benefits of performing the search independently versus working with a recruiter.
Seeking Employment Independently
Performing a job search independently, without the assistance of a recruiter or agency, may be the ideal route for providers who have time to commit to a job search or prefer to represent themselves. Searching independently may start your process off faster especially if you don’t have a previous agency relationship.
If you plan to take this route, be sure to set aside enough time to research job openings, network with former colleagues in person and via social channels and plan your time accordingly. Consider whether you are willing to move and; if so, to which geographic locations and make sure you are aware of credentialing and licensing requirements.
Working with an Agency
Working with a recruiter at an agency that places providers for healthcare facilities may appeal to those who feel they don’t have the time or energy to commit to an independent job search. It’s also ideal for those who don’t want to perform a search alone.
Providers don’t have to pay to work with a recruiter; clients pay for the services. Further, providers who work with recruiters are not obligated to take a position through the recruiter.An expert recruiter at a trusted agency will:
- Help providers find positions that fit their specialty and desired schedule, location, etc.
- Provide feedback and guidance on CV and interviews
- Walk candidates through the entire process, from job search through hiring
- Help with credentialing and licensing
- Streamline the job search and hiring processes, saving the provider time and stress
- Negotiate with the employer according to the providers’ wishes
- Tap into a vast network of jobs, using inside connections and expanding opportunities
- Have insights on the position that competitors may not know
- Add the provider to a database to notify them when opportunities arise
- Have access to technology that optimizes the job search and hiring process
Finding a Trusted Agency
Physicians and APPs who wish to work with a recruiter should look for an agency that has:
- Expert recruiters and search consultants
- A long-standing history in the industry
- Access to various types of positions, including permanent, temporary, part- and full-time jobs
- Strong, enduring relationships with many clients
- High quality candidates
- Job boards and innovative technology
Working with an agency or finding your next role independently is a personal choice. While of course we are partial to the agency route, there are positives to both options. Cejka Search/Cross Country Search has been placing physicians and advanced practitioners for 36 years and we are passionate about helping you find the right role at the right facility so you can use your gift to help patients. To learn more, click here.